Omegle is considered to be one of the most famous video chats in the world. And this is not surprising, because this web service was the first of its kind. The omegle.com website was launched on March 25, 2009, and the first analogue appeared only six months later.
The way Omegle works is to connect completely random users of the site. At the same time, communication is completely anonymous – you do not know anything about each other. No name, no geolocation, no interests. All this can be learned already in the course of conversations.
The importance of Omegle cannot be denied. After all, it was with him that the era of anonymous video chats began, which continues today. Over the past ten years, hundreds, if not thousands of analogues have appeared. Among them, there are those who are strongly inferior to the “primary source” and those who win on many points. And today we want to look at the main pros and cons of Omegle in comparison with similar services, as well as provide some interesting alternatives.
Omegle user benefits
One of the first in the world, Omegle Video Chat offered some accessibility features for users. Today, the advantages of the service include the following.
- Lack of registration . To start using Omegle, you do not need to register, fill out your profile, go through account verification and the like. You just go to the site, choose the type of chat and start chatting with strangers. No extra steps are required.
- Availability of text and video chat . Nowadays, many Omegle alternatives offer communication only in video format. The Omegle developers understand that this format is not for everyone. Therefore, the possibility of text communication is provided here. Just click on the Text or Video button on the main page.
- Possibility to indicate your interests . You can register your interests in a separate field so that the system will select more suitable interlocutors for you. This makes it easier to find and helps the algorithms to find you dating partners faster. Likewise, you can choose the language of communication.
- Student chat . Quite a specific but useful feature. You can enter the official email address of your university, after which the system will connect you only with other students.
- Really large user base. Visit the Omegle website at any time of the day and there will be 20-25 thousand people online. That’s really a lot. Much more than most similar resources.
Several weighty flaws
Unfortunately, Omegle also has some drawbacks. For some, they will seem rather insignificant, but definitely not the most pleasant. Yes, and it is worth talking about them, as opposed to the advantages.
- Not the best moderation . She has never been Omegle’s forte, that’s a fact. Here you can still find fake accounts, bots, all sorts of advertising broadcasts, or simply inadequate users. In this regard, there are already many sites like Omegle, but with better moderation.
- Inability to choose the gender of the interlocutor . For those who are looking for a potential pair, this is a big disadvantage. It is impossible to indicate gender here – you will be connected with both men and women. The situation is the same with age. Moreover, many analogs of Omegle allow you to set these parameters.
- Outdated design . Yes, in principle, this does not affect the usability. But still, the design of Omegle looks frankly outdated and completely impersonal. And this is in an era when quite beautiful and functional sites can be created in the simplest online constructors.
- Slow development . While other sites are trying to continuously develop, expand functionality, introduce a competent moderation system and improve on all counts, Omegle is stagnating. New features are rare. Sometimes it seems that the developers are just going with the flow.
- “Pop” . The popularity of Omegle played a cruel joke with this video chat. People want something new, but Omegle is perceived as something archaic and outdated. And it’s hard to blame them for this. There is a certain amount of truth in this.
With all these shortcomings, the site is still very popular in the modern world and attracts thousands of users every day. Nevertheless, it is not worth stopping only at Omegle. After all, there are really many worthy alternatives.